1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

Sells Ads or Sell Merchandise

Discussion in 'General Podcast Discussion' started by Adam, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I read another podcaster discussing the issue of not being able to sell advertising on their show because they didn't have enough downloads for each episode. I personally think podcast ads and download numbers are garbage. You can see my other thread here about it.

So if I don't think anything of ads or downloads then how the hell are we to make some money?

Glad I asked :) Sell some merchandise or create amazing content for your show on your website or social platforms. Give someone value for their time and/or money. If I like your show enough, and you want to sell me a t-shirt or mug with your show plastered on it, then I am in. Ask me for a paypal donation. I will give it to you if you brought value to the table.

Those that want to stuff their podcasts with ads are missing out on the bigger opportunity. You are willing to sacrifice my time by reading ads in the middle of the show and losing my interest, for how much money? What are the advertisers offering you? I have a better idea. Write more, podcast more, get some merch or ask me for a donation and you will know very quickly how good your show is by the amount of people who financially contribute.

I say sell MERCH not ADS! Yes I know there is cost with producing merchandise, but it's worth it. My fedora is off to shows like @American Fatass Podcast for getting t-shirts out there. They get it. Hopefully I am not wrong and they started reading ads in their podcast, I need to pull a recent episode.

#sellmerch #podcastads

2. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I did read that John Lee Dumas makes $700 per ad and has 2 per show and he does a show each day. I am on the fence about whether or not it's a podcast at that point. I will say this is an exception to my opinion. To me that's a radio show and not the context I am referring to in my post. Tomato, tomato I guess, but I am speaking about 95% of the podcasters out there. Clearly Mr. Dumas has a lot he offers and his revenue, content, and presence shows that.